I discovered a “Pumpkin Breakout” on a hunt for the illusive “interesting – never – done – before” fall color photo. I ended up melting a hole in my desk, as my computer tried to wrangle 30000 pixel wide raw file in an attempt to make something interesting out of it…
(Straight Out Of Camera)
I took 10 photos compositions bracketed at +/- 2 stops for 3 exposures each for a total of 30 shots.
I didn’t know what I was going to do with them, so I just took what is referred to as a “data dump.”
Later I tried to make a nice panorama, but it wasn’t that good, so I thought, lets try making a “Pumpkin World…”
Nikon 24-70 F/2.8
1/320s, 1/80s, 1/20s
I used Lightroom to make DNG files out of the sets of 3 raw files to leave me with 10 files…
I then tried to stitch those DNGs into a panorama, but Lightroom threw up at the very idea of a 30000 pixel wide raw panorama, so lets try Lightroom’s “big brother.”
Well it stitched the photos together, albeit not that well, come to think of it, I wasn’t on a tripod, so this is what I deserve. Sneaking onto some farmers field made “due diligence” even less likely then usual.
Well I fixed the important line of the “Pumpkin Horizon” with the “Adaptive Wide Angle filter” which produced this kind of boring photo. I might as well just took one shot at 14mm… So I guess with a photo with a clear delineation line, there’s only one thing I can do with it… It’s time to “Polarize!”
To polarize you need to make a square photo first. This can stretch things up, but you are gonna stretch them the other way when you polarize it.
I did my usual trick of copying some bits from one side and flipping it to the other, then masking it in so there isn’t a weird line in the “Pumpkin World.”
I did a test polarize, and found out the pumpkins up close would look real weird, so I cloned them out.
To make a polar that is a world shape, you have to flip the photo 180 degrees…
Then hit the polarize filter
Then I rotated the world to be more in balance…
Then I cropped the square to be less square, making this world more convincing.
And then I fixed the weird stretch distortion that happens in the very center of the polar worlds.
Back to Lightroom
Well that was way too much like a bunch of other worlds I’ve made, and this one had some “Fall color” in it, so I thought Id try my Lightroom “fall color filters” to see if it would be more interesting.
Back to Photoshop
I liked the effect, but the pumpkins looked weird, so I exported a copy and layered it onto the original in Photoshop, then I masked out the weird red pumpkins.
Then I wanted to make the “Space” it was in more dynamic with a vignette, so I painted one in…
Then I lowered the opacity to get it into the neighborhood of interesting.
I thought about adding a jet or something, this needs something but that would probably just distract the eye… A tractor would have been nice, maybe next time kiddies!