A real life “Hungry Hungry Hippo” is caught yawning due to the boredom of a hot summer day. The Hippo came out of the water with a twig on its head. As much as I wish I could have went over and removed it, I remembered a statistic I heard once… Hippos kill more people in Africa then all other animals there. So I’ll just use Photoshop, people rarely get trampled by Photoshop.
(Straight Out Of Camera)
Sigma 150-600mm C
- Exposure and contrast raised
- Highlights shadows and blacks lowered
- Whites raised
- Clarity, vibrance and saturation raised
- HSL – yellows and greens lowered
- Sharpened with masking
- Lowered the teeth exposure with the adjustment brush
- Removed twig from dudes head with the clone and healing brushes
- Burnt a vignette onto the image to frame the monster better
This shot reminded me of the “Hungry, Hungry Hippos” game from when I was a kid. That always reminds me of a story from my wife’s childhood…
My father-in-law worked night-shifts, and was sleeping. My wife and her sisters were playing furious rounds of “Hungry, Hungry Hippos” for hours in the basement below his bedroom. For anyone not skilled in the game, it is essentially pounding a paddle as a plastic hippo head tries to eat white marbles.
After a while, they heard the door to the basement creak open and their father shuffled down the stairs in a tattered bathrobe. He picked the game off the table and threw it against the wall. Abruptly turning around and going back to bed.
To understand the mans pain, I dare you to make it through just the commercial for that horrid game!